This grain free kosher carrot cake is the perfect dessert for Passover AND Easter.
Ingredients for 18 cm spring form
- 150 g grated carrots
- 150 g ground nuts (I prefer almonds – and I know, they are technically no nuts 😉 )
- 75 g sugar
- 3 eggs
- vanilla sugar or extract
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- about 80 g cream cheese
- powdered sugar to taste
- Preheat the oven to 170-180°C.
- Separate the eggs – whip the egg whites.
- Mix egg yolks and sugar.
- Add the carrots, nuts, vanilla and baking powder.
- Now fold the stiff egg whites under the carrot mixture – make sure to preserve as much air as possible.
- Fill the dough into a well buttered 18 cm spring form.
- Bake the cake for about 40 minutes, considering that the dough will stay nice and moist.
- When the cake has cooled down you can mix the cream cheese with some powdered sugar and pour it over the cake.
For me the cream cheese topping doesn’t have to be very sweet. Nevertheless, considering that the cake itself does not contain a lot of sugar and no flour and added fat, a little more sweetness might be very welcome.
As decoration I prepared some fondant carrots – I usually have the basic colours at home and can mix differed shades along the way.
NOTE: Fondant mainly consists of sugar and therefore it is very sensitive to liquids. The Cream cheese icing is already too moist for it. So make sure the carrots don’t touch it directly or choose other decorations. Nuts and berries are very nice too and healthier 😉 !